In Honor of Reed coming back in just two weeks, and also in honor of my 41st birthday which was yesterday, I’ve decided to add a somewhat more cynical slant to my practice recaps. Who says I can’t be a crotchety old man?
Note that I am two days behind on all of this, hope to get practice 7 up tomorrow or Tues
- What he said: “Some kids mature quicker than others, but they are getting better.”
- What he meant: “AJ and Todd aren’t where they should be, and they aren’t very good yet”
- What he said: (On V’lique Carter) “He probably won’t win the Heisman this year”
- What he meant: “He probably won’t win the Heisman this year”
- What he said: “He’s fast, he’s quick, he’s twitchy. That’s something you can’t coach. You always look for something you can’t coach.”
- What he meant: “We don’t have anybody like that”
- What he said: “I don’t know if we’ve had a number one back since James left.”
- What he meant: “Qadree and Darrin are fifth round picks, at best”
- What he said: “They’ll all have a role, and it’ll all sort out”
- What he meant: “Our running game might be hurting this year”
- What he said: “When you graduate when you are coaching arguably the best fullback in the country, and he graduates, it’s very hard to say you are going to have the best fullback in the country”
- What he meant: “You probably aren’t going to see much out of the fullback this year”
- What he said: “George was physically strong, he was fast, and George was naturally just a mean dude”
- What he meant:
- What he said: “I’m not going to say that Jimmy’s not a naturally mean guy, we just have to reach in there and find it. Bring it out.”
- What he meant: “Look, Jim Medure is a great guy. He dresses up as batman to cheer up sick children for crying out loud. We are actually planning on having Jim do an -ahem- “internship” at the Pitt advanced nuclear physics lab right after spring ball.”
- What he said: “I’m really seeing some guys emerge [on special teams].”
- What he meant: “We don’t have jack squat on special teams right now”
- What he said: “Last year [Kessman] kicked I think 78%, which is the highest field goal percentage we’ve had since we’ve been here.
- What he meant: “Hah. I can coach kickers.”
- What he said: “I missed one at Heinz from 46”
- What he meant: “If only we had an on campus stadium I could kick in all the time”
- What he said: I was 50% from the righ hash, and that killed me
- What he meant: Hey Pat, if you had an ounce of field presence you’d have set me up for success, and we’d have beaten both Notre Dame and Stanford and finished 9-5 and with a top-25 national ranking.
- What he said: “Yea I made a few runs”
- What he meant: “I smoked that slow-azz defense”
- What he said: “What do i take away? I don’t take away anything”
- What he meant: “Last year didn’t mean squat”
- What he said: “Practice #6 Today. Solid. Still trying to work on everybody’s motor”
- What he meant: “If they play like they practiced today, I will definitely be on the hot seat”
- What he said: “Dontavious Butler had a great catch for at touchdown”
- What he meant: “But it was against the third team defense…”
- What he said: “Carter is a work in progress right now, but he has a great attitude”
- What he meant: “He’s probably not going to win the heisman this year”
- What he said: “When he hits the hole, he’ll get there faster than anybody”
- What he meant: “If only he could hit the right hole…”
- What he said: On twitter i saw that picture of the hulk, the hulk is not in the backfield anymore that’s a beautiful picture, darn george looks like the hulk. I think someone photoshopped some of the veins in his neck and stuff, that was kind of weird, I think that was a photoshop”
- What he meant: I wish our marketing department could do that.
- If anybody wants to play in the NFL you better figure out that special teams are another avenue that you can take with you with your other position
- Damn right senior starters are going to play on special teams
- What he said: The defense stopped the run pretty good for the most part. I think.
- What he meant: Except for those long runs by V’Lique. And then I took him out because he was talking too much trash.
- What he said: It’s a heated battle everywhere at linebacker.
- What he actually meant: We actually might be really good at linebacker this year.