Pitt secured yet another verbal from Virginia today, near-four-star running back Malik Newton. That’s four commits from Virginia this year for Beatty, and more than 20% off the 2021 recruiting class.
Newton is a coveted 5.7 – three star, which is just a tenth of a point less than a four-star ranking. He joins OL Terrence Enos and DE Nahki Johnson as one of the three 5.7+’s in Pitt’s 2021 class. He’s the 8th ranked prospect in Virginia and the 18th ranked running back in the country. Not a bad pickup for an offense that loves to pass the ball (although you have to admit Pitt didn’t exactly have any bell-cow types in the running back room last year).
Lets have a look at his offer sheet.
P5 (13 offers):
- Clemson – Well Brent Venables is listed as his lead recruiter but considering the Tigers have already landed two four-star running backs…
- Louisville – Ten hour drive from Louisville from Tidewater, across West Virginia no less. Plus you end up in…Louisville.
- Maryland – Our anti-Terps negative recruiter Reed Kohberger doing strong work up there.
- Nebraska – Cornshuckers.
- North Carolina – Clearly Newton values an education.
- Penn State – Sux
- Purdue – I can’t think of one good reason why anyone would want to go to Purdue.
- South Carolina – The only good thing about the Gamecocks is that they have Richard Hefner as a fan, and they aren’t run by Phil Fulmer.
- Tennessee – Good ‘ol Rockytop. Rockytop, Tennessee.
- Virginia – Wa-hoo-wah, we stole one of your gah’s.
- Virginia Tech – Gobble gobble. Gobble gobble. Gobble gobble gobble gobble.
- West Virginia – “So Malik, we can offer you an offense that’s not run in the pros, a town with zero culture (unless you like fishing and plug tobacco), a sub-par education and endemic racism? What do you say?”
- Pitt – Hail 2.
Non-P5 (three offers):
- Charlotte – I’m telling you they are nothing more than an advance scouting outfit for Pat Narduzzi.
- Liberty – Wouldn’t be a Pitt commit without a Liberty offer in there somewhere.
- Old Dominion – Actually not a bad look.
Speaking of looks. Here’s young Mr. Newton’s highlight reel:
I see good vision, nice burst, downhill physical running style, soft hands (if you get a few mins in you’ll see him grab a couple of swing passes), good balance, tough to bring down in the open field. Runs a little bit violent. Andre Powell and this guy are a match made in heaven.
Welcome to Pittsburgh Malik. May you excel in the weight room and may you master the blitz pickup quickly.
Hail to Pitt