It was a busy day for Pitt recruiting today.
Pitt landed three 2021 verbals and a grad trafser.
Three of these commits were offensive linemen.
In other news, a local Tight End that Pitt was recruiting signed with Maryland. sigh
Editor’s note: CJ Dipre is from Jermyn, PA , which is just north of Scranton, so “local” is a relative term here.
First, the transfer. Keldrick Wilson
Per PSN: 6-foot-5, 299-pound tackle from Mt. Ulla, North Carolina, chose Pitt over fellow finalists Indiana, USC and West Virginia. He will have one season of eligibility remaining with the Panthers.
Wilson comes to Pitt via HBCU Hampton University, in Hampton Virginia. Not much can be found on Wilson. I thought there might be a rivals profile from 2015, but no luck. Pitt did beat out USC, Indiana and WVU for Wilson’s services so that is something. Welcome to Pitt K.J. We are glad to have you.
Next lets get on to the 2021 commits. We’ll keep with the offensive line theme to start. Pitt received commits from two OL’s out of Detroit, and that is noteworthy for several reasons. First, because Pitt has been signing an average of two OL’s per season for the last several years, so two in one day is well, noteworthy. Second, because one of them is a coveted 5.7. Pitt apparently doesn’t sign enough of these. Third because these guys are from Detroit and Pitt has not had a ton of luck in Michigan in recent years, even though it’s within driving distance and Narduzzi supposedly has ties there. These two commits could potentially signal a change.
First, our 5.5, Brandon Honorable
P5 Offers (9):
- Indiana – Ho hummm
- Iowa State – Sure if you want to play among the corn
- Maryland – Well it was good enough for CJ Dipre…
- Michigan State – No negative recruiting went on here I’m sure
- Minnesota – You can row the boat or you can lock the gates, but you can’t do both
- Perdue – meh
- Syracuse – There are about three cities in America that have worse weather than Pittsburgh. Two of them are Detroit and Syracuse.
- Tennessee – Just drove through Knoxville this weekend. Nice little town. Of course Pittsburgh is better.
- Pitt – Hail 2.
Non P5 Offers of Note (Note that Liberty and Elon are not present):
- Bowling Green
- Central Michigan
- Eastern Michigan
- Western IL
Should we be concerned that the only AAC school to offer was Cincinatti??? (I’m kidding here)
He’s tall, rangy, athletic. Really quick out of his stance. Needs to put on weight and not lose that quickness. Legs seem really skinny, but again that first step is there. A pass blocker more than a run blocker for sure. At least at this stage…
Welcome to Pitt Mr. Honorable. You’ve made the right choice.
Our 5.7 is Terrence Enos
P5 Offers (15):
- Arkansas – Soooweee Pigs!
- Colorado – Cold up there in the rockies
- Iowa State – See comment about the corn
- Kansas – Also corn
- Kentucky – Someday we are going to meet them in a bowl, and that’s going to be a hell of a game.
- LSU – I am going to go ahead and call this committable
- Maryland – I literally have nothing to say
- Ole Miss – What? No bag man in Detroit?
- Missouri – You know what they say in Kansas? Muck Fizzou.
- Perdue – Yes I spelled it like that on purpose.
- Rutgers – If they had hired Schiano two years ago we might have had a fight on our hands.
- Syracuse – See above about weather
- Vandy – Vandy offering proves that he is smart
- West Virginia – Not committing here also proves that he is smart
- Pitt – Lets Go
Non-P5 offers of Note:
- Alabama State – The Elon of the deep South.
- Handful of MAC schools – Breaking news – Mac Schools recruit three star out of Michigan
- Arkansas State – Love the Red Wolves
- Houston Baptist – Who???
- Southern Miss – What are you doing all the way up here?
- UAB – Got a hot tip from So. Miss
- Western IL – Again!
I see road grader type with long legs, decent athleticism for his size. Heck he’s already better at sealing off the end the Carter Warren (I’m kidding here). He’s pancaking a lot of 200 lb or less dudes and not doing a ton of pass blocking, but it appears that the raw material is there.
Welcome to Pitt Mr. Enos! Glad to have you.
Finally we got a linebacker out of Georgia.
Preston Lavant will be Pitt’s fourth Georgia recruit in the last two years. (Last year’s commits were DB Rashad Battle, DB Hunter Sellers, and WR Jaylon Bardon). Lavant is the kind of linebacker recruit the Narduzzi regime seems to favor: Slightly undersized and athletic, with some room to grow. For those of you who are not familiar with deep south Geography. Cordele, GA is waaaay down there, about two hours south of Atlanta. Just south of Vienna (pronounced VI-enna) and just northeast of Albany (pronounced all-BAN-E). All kidding aside there are a lot of good undiscovered athletes in south Georgia and Lavant could turn out to be quite a find. His HS Alma matter, Crisp County is AAA – the fourth biggest classification (HS with 1100 in this case). Crisp County dominated their division in 2019, winning 11 games.
P5 Offers (5)
- Louisville – Head Coach came from Troy State, so no surprises that he’s mining South Georgia for talent.
- Minnesota – PJ Fleck doing work…
- Nebraska – Remember when they could have anybody they wanted?
- West Virginia – Almost heaven…almost
- Pitt – Hail Yea
Non P5 offers of note
- Akron – I never thought I’d have to say we beat out a MAC school for a Georgia recruit, but I just did
- App State – Not insulted by this
- Austin Peay – Give ’em credit for trying
- Charlotte – Our new recruiting rival south of the Mason Dixon
- Coastal Carolina – Our new #2 rival south of the Mason Dixon
- FAU – Lane Kiffin would have nabbed him
- GA Southern – Not insulted by this either
- GA State – Years ago I would have been insulted by this, but not anymore.
- Liberty – YEA!
- Southern Miss – Now this I expect
- Tulane – Has to be the toughest place to win in college football. Who can stay focused in the Big Easy?
- Western Carolina – eh
Reminds me of a young Kylan Johnson. Going to make a real nice Star linebacker if he develops.
Welcome to Pittsburgh Preston. May you cause many a game-changing fumble at Bobby-Dodd Stadium!
PS – if any of you want to buy the fine coasters pictured at the top of this article, they are available at the Pitt Shop. I make zero dollars on any purchases, but I did use their artwork without permission… so to make up for that Click on this link to take a look.
Hail to Pitt