Wanted to post this publicly since JoeKnew has been taking it in the shorts from wordpress recently. Poor guy posted six times and six times the comment went to the spam filter. Feel free to discuss. – Michaelangelo
OK, well, I wanted to wait until today so my review wouldn’t be so knee jerk. I’d also like to say my mood matches today’s weather, but that really isn’t true. I’m not angry, or gloomy, or pessimistic. I realize the feeling I have today is total apathy. Yup, much like a Pirate fan, I really don’t care, which is probably the worst thing that could happen to a sports fan.
It takes a lot to remove the passion which has burned for over 50 years. I’ll let that sink in……. 50 plus years of ups and downs and pride following a team that had highs, lots of lows, and even more moments of frustration. But you know, it always involved passion. They have managed to suck that out of me, I actually looked at the sports section , saw the Pitt write up, and just passed it by like I do with an NBA box score.
Some thoughts and observations from Saturday:
1) First and for most, the most troubling item to Pitt administrators should be the Attendance. 8,000 to 10,000 max, including 300 – 400 students. This on a day they were giving away FREE tickets to season ticket holders. If you try to give away your product for free and no one wants it, well, you have much, much more than a problem, you are in crisis.
2) To whoever said don’t blame Whipple, blame Matthews (on the false start on 1st and goal from the 1). I can only assume you watched on TV and they didn’t show what happened. Now, get this, they get to the 2 inch line, end of the quarter, TV time out. Ready for play they sprint from the sideline, hurry up , and do a quick snap. I’m going no, no, no, no, because the chance of someone not being set is really high. Remember, this is from a timeout at the 2 inch line. Why? Why would you do that. And if you think that’s your best chance? Well……..
3) Two false starts by the same senior player on the first possession? Huh? Sure, the crowd noise confused him. 5 fumbles, plus an interception, plus missed tackles, plus any one of a dozen bonehead plays.
4) Which brings me to the guys who think the ACC screwed us on the schedule. Listen, this team gets worse as the year goes on. UVA would have whacked us like a Piñata. There is no measure of improvement, and this is not a one year occurrence. Same dumb, boneheaded, unforced( and forced) errors. Very undisciplined team.
5) Whipple, well, he is what he is, an arrogant jerk running his offense which throws, and throws, and throws, puts up yardage, and no points. Come on, back to Johnny Majors II. If that’s not embarrassing I don’t know what is.
6) Playing with half a team due to an overall recruiting fail. First it was an offense with a complete and utter fail of a d, in fact, a historically horrendous D. Then a D with one of the worst offenses in college football. Recruiting 2 and 3* players, and hoping you’ll have enough guys who can be coached up or that were overlooked is like looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You will fail 9 of ten times, leaving a very, very flawed team.
7) In year whatever of the Duzz era with his players you see the same failures at the end of the year. Guys maybe, just maybe, it’s not the competition, it’s the players and coaches? Stubborn belief unwavering commitment and arrogance is great in a coach, as long as it produces a positive result. Maybe, just maybe, the possibility exits that he just doesn’t have it as a head coach?
8) Reed is and has been right on so many things regarding this program, but where does it say we can’t graduate players who stay out of trouble and win more than 8 games? For 3.5 mil or whatever, you’d like to think they aren’t mutually exclusive.
9) This school has made so very many mistakes with their athletic (and primarily football) programs it is a wonder they exist at all. There is no way the football program can support all other non revenue sports. If attendance was the major factor that drove Stallings out what do you think of football. Yesterday was the smallest attendance I’ve seen in 50 years. Even in the 1-9 years! And they were GIVING away free tickets. Man, something is severely wrong.
Well that’s it. Sort of empty. Happy Holidays to all, and to Pitt Football. Goodnight!