This won’t be a long one folks, because I may have found msyelf ahem a little bit overserved after a double-shot of Woodford appeared in front of me at a certain Charlotte rooftop bar late Saturday night. Names will not be named, but responsible parties know who they are. Suffice to say I’m not exactly at full strength at time of writing.
With that being said, the ACC championship is in the books. While we were all hoping for more, I don’t think anyone is surprised. If we had played a perfect game we might have kept it close, but we were clearly outclassed in all phases.
- We ran for more yards that anyone else that played Clemson
- The punting game seemed solid
- We *for the most part* played pretty good defense. We held Clemson to one of their lowest yardage totals all season, and forced them to punt a lot, compared to their season average.
- Darrin Hall ran well at 6.1 YPC. He was making people miss and playing fast.
- We landed a four star recruit, Daniel Carter, from Florida and beat out a host of SEC schools for his services.
- We received a bid to play in the Sun Bowl – a top tier ACC bowl
- We missed some key tackles and they made us pay
- Darrin Hall ran well at 6.1 YPC, and yet they only gave him the ball 14 times.
- On that note, the game planning and play calling was still subpar. A couple of people who were neither Pitt nor Clemson fans came up to me and told me flat out that our OC has to go. I don’t share that sentiment outright, but I do think that if we are having the same problems by midseason next year, then 2019 should be Watson’s last season with Pitt.
- Complete and utter misuse of the Jet Sweep (except for the first one by Maurice Ffrench which went for 16 yards. It was was Ffrenchy’s only carry of the game. See comment #3 about playcalling / gameplanning.)
- We received a bid to play in the Sun Bowl – it’s just tough to get to El Paso
- Eight yards passing.
- 75 yard TD on opening play
- Inability to defend QB run option in 2nd half
There of course is a lot more to expand upon here so have it it Pitt Fans.