Well, here we are. It’s the eve the ACC championship game, against the mighty Clemson Tigers, right in their own backyard (or close enough too it).
You would have to be delusional to think we have a snowball’s chance to win this one, and Las Vegas agrees.
Pitt is 26.5 point underdogs according to at least one source, and Clemson outclasses us in every position (except fullback!)
But this is college football folks. And while ESPN gives Clemson a 95.7% chance of victory, that leaves a 4.3% chance for us.
Of course it means that 30 young Pitt men will have to play an absolutely perfect game.
And Clemson would have to play their worst game of the season.
Like the time Appalachian State beat Michigan in 2007 (App State was 33 point dogs)
Or the time Temple beat Virginia Tech in 1998. (The Owls were 35 point dogs)
Or who could forget the time when lowly Stanford, coming off a 1-11 season took down #2 USC. (This was also in 2007. Stanford was 40 point dogs, and that game is commonly listed as the second biggest upset in the last 25 years.)
But these were not championship games. They were September and October games, when anything can happen and teams are frequently overrated.
It is unlikely that Clemson is overrated.
Still, there may be some magic in the air on Saturday night. Or maybe in the rain, if the weather forecast holds true.
At -26.5 a Pitt win would be the second biggest upset of the year from a point-spread standpoint, and certainly the biggest upset in ACC championship history (or any Conference championship history for that matter).
So go ahead, predict a win you Pitt optimists. Just know that by doing so you are probably locking in a jinx.
Personally I’d rather be proven right and pleasantly surprised, and most predictions are going to have Clemson scoring a lot of points in a revenge scenario.
In that light, I originally posed the prediction that realistic side of me believed to be right. Then I read my post and was immediately depressed. I am spending too much money and traveling too far to not be able to cling to a shred of hope, no matter how small. Nobody is giving us a chance and there is nowhere to go but up, and if there is one thing Pat can do on gameday it’s get the guys fired up for the big one. Lets see if we can’t make some history on Saturday because our fan base certainly deserves it.
Hail to Pitt and I’ll see you in Charlotte.