Pitt Style: Some obscure, some very easy… A quiz submitted by Andrew aka ajs32
How many can you get?
1) I am a former Iowa State head coach who was a DC in Pittsburgh that had the famous, “read and react,” defense.
2) I am the holder who botched a snap in the de facto Big East Title game that cost the Panthers a trip to the Sugar Bowl against Tim and Urban.
3) I am a former Pitt starting QB in the 1986 and 1987 seasons who was so bad, I made Tino Sunseri look good. Darnell Dickerson replaced me in the 1987 Syracuse game.
4) I am a former chancellor of the University of Pittsburgh who decided in the late 1980’s to make academic standards tougher, de-emphasize athletics, and anger Coach Gottfried to begin the Hackett years.
5) I was one of the few bright spots for Pitt basketball in the early 1990’s. I ended up getting drafted in the first round by the Milwaukee Bucks and finished my career with the Vancouver Grizzlies.
6) After really struggling as a starting QB against Michigan State and Grambling, I gave up the football thing for baseball and I am currently the back-up catcher for the Chicago White Sox.
7) I was recruited by Johnny Majors during his second stint and I was supposed to be the next Dan Marino. I had a redshirt burned after a blow-out loss to Ohio State and didn’t feel confident in myself or my work habits. Then I transferred to Duqusene having one hell of a career and earning a degree in education.
8) We are the last two Pitt QB’s from the great state of Texas but we never got a fair shake.
A. I got to play in a bunch of games but that dang John Ryan kept taking playing time away from me. I wore number 28.
B. I was recruited in 2008 out of Houston because I am small and can run a spread. Please don’t say Trey Anderson, that’s not the answer. I never got a shot at QB and had stints on special teams and safety.
9) In the 2000 Insight.com Bowl, I was the Iowa State QB who defeated the Panthers. I jumped around several NFL teams without ever really making a mark.
10) In the 2005 game against Nebraska we lost 7-6 when Greg Lee was pulled down by the slowest white guy ever and I had the most gruesome leg injury as a member of the Pitt secondary.
11) Speaking of Pitt QB’s who never get a chance; I left all the fun of Kansas to come to Pitt and got one stinking moment in the sun on a scramble touchdown against Iowa. I bet Pitt never beats Iowa again.
12) In the 2008 Sun Bowl as a senior, I got my first start on the offensive line due to injury and things did not go well in our 3 to 0 defeat. Even though I was six foot seven and over three hundred pounds, I was destined to just be someone that tries to block extra points.
13) I was a third string Pitt QB behind Palko and Flacco and often sent offensive signals calls in for Coach Walt Harris. I saw snaps in only two games during my career (Kent State 2003 and South Florida 2004). During the South Florida game, I came in during garbage time and fumbled my first and only snap of the day.
14) Speaking of South Florida, I gave their fans the finger when I caught a touchdown against them during the Wanny years. I turned down a scholarship from Auburn to play tight end at Pitt…was that a mistake?
OK – that’s the questions. The answers are after the page break…
1) Paul Rhodes
2) Andrew Janoko
3) Sal Genilla
4) Wesley W. Posvar
5) Eric Mobley
6) Kevan Smith
7) Tony Zimmerman
8) A: Ken Ferguson B: Kolby Gray
9) Sage Rosenfels
10) Mike Phillips
11) Greg Cross
12) Chase Clowser
13) Matt Flaus
14) Darrell Strong