Now that the house guests have cleared out from a busy and hectic weekend I had a chance to watch the Duke win this morning. A very strange game to say the least – and I understand that I was watching it on TV and not live like some of our POV commenters were.
All I can say is thank goodness for Hall’s two great runs – otherwise we’d be singing a different tune today.
Yesterday a reader sent along his Good, Bad & Ugly thoughts and I’ll incorporate those, along with other commenter’s thought in the listings today.
- Two instances that the line created big holes for Hall to run 79 and 94 yards for TD’s
- No fumbles
- Fairly aggressive pass defense in the first half
- Pitt was capable of making first downs on the third try
- Weah had two nice receptions and really fought for the ball
- Ra-Ra Lopes definitely is the most consistent receiver on the field for Pitt
- Say what people will, DiNucci can launch a long ball too but seldom does
- Duke’s overall speed actually seemed better than Pitt’s
- Pitt LBers still had problems covering the right person and tackling them
- Maddox’s injury as he recorded a sack plus played very aggressively
- No Pickett at all in the game, that was a huge mistake in the third quarter
- Pitt kept letting Duke eat away at the score and take the lead with long TD passes
- Maddox’s injury
- Failure to give Pickett more experience, DiNucci did just mediocre and didn’t screw up
Here are some extra thoughts:
Any win is a good one – especially if your team is sitting at 2-5 more than halfway through the season. That was a win and I’ll take it. Three more like that (hard as it may be) and then I’ll start thinking about a bowl spot. Until then I’ll leave that up to the AD whose job it is entails blowing smoke.