31 December 2016
Dear Pitt POV Readers and Friends,
As a new year begins I’d like to take a moment and share some of my thoughts with you regarding this website and your involvement in it. If I may, let me take a minute and list the things that I wrote down as a mission guide for myself before I started this endeavor:
- Make it a place where Pitt Fans meet to discuss the Pitt football program and the University itself.
- Create an environment where the readers become commenters, the commenters become friends and the friends become family.
- Keep it a civil, clean, and well-respected place where everyone is entitled to their opinion, has a platform to share that opinion with others and can expect honest feedback.
- Integrate humor and teaching along with honest criticism into the discussion of the subject matter at hand.
- As the owner and writer I will keep an open mind to others’ thoughts and criticisms and use them to continually make this site better for everyone who comes to read and comment.
How have I done so far with that? Well, I hope.
My thanks to you all for helping to make this site the resounding success it has been so far. It has taken off beyond what I envisioned when I started it. We now have hundreds of thousands of readers, great commenters (you) and are getting more new readers and commenters, members of the “Pitt POV family” as it were, every single day. Growing by leaps and bounds…
I have had the best time imaginable over the last six months sparring with you all, trying to match wits with you –battles which I lost most times – and just waiting to see what you would say in response to an article. To say I learned a lot from you is an understatement and I truly have to keep sharp to compete with all your fine intellects.
People always are asking me ‘Why do all that work for free?’ and the answer is a resounding “Because it gives people a break from the rest of their lives and because of the friends I have met doing it ”. That’s what I wanted; someplace that when you come here everything else drops by the wayside if even for a short length of time.
I find that we have created a bit of an oasis in the hurly-burly media world of Twitter, message boards and short two-paragraph articles put out by some as news. This is a place of leisure where I can write a lengthy article (sometimes) and you can take your time reading it, digesting it and sharing your insights about it.
So, it’s a new year, with new adventures and we have a new season of Pitt football to talk about… and I’m glad as hell you are by my side for it. I sincerely mean that.
We’ll have a lot of fun and interesting times going forward. The blog standards are in place with civil give and take being the order of the day and thank you all for adhering to that. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard people say how much they enjoy the tone on The Pitt POV and that it makes it that much easier to read.
Please notice the tag line in the site logo we use above; I say“We’re keeping our eyes on Pitt Football” because I look at us as a community of caring men and women who want the best for Pitt and will work to make that happen.
My full name is Reed Kohberger and my contact info is on the site. Please use it even if you just want to shoot the breeze, bemoan a loss, celebrate a win or arrange to meet for a beer or three at a game.
Best to all, Reed